Monday, March 3, 2008

Some Sundry SU's...

Somewhere in Romania, 1944.
A Soviet SU-76m and SU-122 prowl around a ruined castle.


My photography skills are right up there with my knowledge of bee-keeping in 13th Century Aquitainian monasteries, and my ancient cellphone camera is one step up from the Brownie box-camera, so apologies for the washed-out picture.

There is just something so appealing to me about Soviet assault guns. The SU-122 is one of my favourite vehicles in the Soviet arsenal, topped only by the wonderful, not-so-lean, but oh-so-mean ISU-152 and ISU-122 series. The SU-76m "Suka", based on the T-70 chassis, was the standard SP support gun for the front-line Motorized Infantry divisions.

These are white metal Skytrex models- they took a lot of filing and fitting to make them look good, perhaps too much to be really cost efficient. I like the look of the SHQ versions, but with the exchange rate being what it is these days they are not a priority. White metal is heavy, though- I should really check out resin kits to cut down on weight.

I should mention here that while I like the vehicles, I am primary an infantry guy- I tend to get more excited about new ranges of Russki figures and transport- especially the horse-drawn variety- than I do about the armour.

Having said that, when I started the Soviets there was absolutely no early war stuff available- the T-35's, T-28's, BT-7's and T-26's
et al. This is no longer the case, and I have begun to look at doing a winter 1942 battle group. Well, early spring anyway as I am not confident about covering all my tanks and bases in snow...


No comments: